Makin’ Hydrocarbons: The Digest’s 2017 Multi-Slide Guide to Catalytic Upgrading of Thermochemical Intermediates
by Jim Lane (Biofuels Digest) To demonstrate an advanced biofuels technology that integrates a catalytic biomass pyrolysis step and a hydroprocessing step to produce infrastructure compatible biofuels, here’s the basic recipe, according to a research team led by David Dayton at RTI International. You have to:
1) optimize the catalytic biomass pyrolysis process (1 ton/day) to achieve high degree of deoxygenation, while maximizing the bio-crude production
2) improve bio-crude thermal stability
3) evaluate the impact of bio-crude quality in the hydroprocessingstep
4) minimize hydrogen demand of the integrated process
5) maximize biofuels yields.
Dayton gave the following illuminating presentation at the most recent DOE Project Peer Review meeting. READ MORE