Novel Biogasoline Group Suggests Jojoba Plant as US Energy Crop
Dr. Osayed S.M. Abu-Elyazeed, an Egyptian researcher posits the following reasons, among others, for choosing the Jojoba plant for plantation in the US:
1. The shrub can be grown in virtually un-arable land -typically the deserts available in the US, leaving the fertile lands available for food production.
2. The plant’s resistance to salinity of water and land is quite high .It can resist water salinity up to 10000 ppm. Thus well water can be used for watering leaving the rivers water available for food production. It can also grow on sewage treated water.
3. The water needed for plant growth in the first two years of plant age is 300-350 mm; rain water can thus be the main source of water for plant growth. Such watering needs are only one-thirds the needs of clover and one-half the needs of cotton. After the initial period of plant growth, the plant should not need surface watering since it can get its water from the ground because the jojoba roots can go deep in the ground to a depth of between 15 and 25 M.
4. The optimum latitude for plant growth is 23 to 35 North which is quite suitable to the US (30o North).
5. The optimum temperature for plant growth is 20 to 27C; but it could be grown at temperatures up to 50C. However, the plant cannot survive temperatures below -5C. Such temperature requirements are largely compatible with the US weather.
6. The plant resists dryness and bad weather.
7. It needs only small amounts of fertilizers.
8. The shrub resists plant diseases and insects.
9. The plant resists a wide range of PH, e.g. from 5 to 8.
10. The plant lifetime is quite long since it can reach 150 to 200 years. READ MORE